Tuesday 2 June 2009

Contemporary Painting, old fashioned pressure!

When I used to work in interior design, it was fairly fast paced and high pressure. Deadlines, big budgets, building control guidelines, customer deadlines and pressure. I loved it.

Just as some people didn't understand this and thought that interior design was like "Changing Rooms" (believe me, it wasn't), a career as an artist doesn't always mean listening to radio three whilst painting a watercolour of a vase of flowers before switching to "The Archers" at two!

Over the past three months I have worked on some twenty plus paintings, mainly to put together the solo art exhibition for ArtDeCaf in Glasgow. There are only four days to go now until the launch, and whilst I should now be thinking about stringing canvasses, I am still painting, finishes pieces off and, in true Joe style, starting new artwork.

I know, I am a sucker for punishment, but it's just the way I am. I feel that I have learned more in the past three months than in the last three years.

Here's hoping there is no meltdown on Monday.