Sunday 12 October 2008

DaVinci Influence?

Some strange goings on this week. I have been painting much new work in the run up to my solo exhibition at the Park Gallery on October 23rd. I have been painting various male and female figurative pieces and finished this new acrylic painting this week. Several people have commented that the male figure looks like Jesus. I can see where they are coming from but his face just turned out that way. I have no intention of offending anyone and who knows what Jesus looked like anyway?

In a similar vein, I had bought for me yesterday, A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. This is the third copy of this book that I have owned as I have given the others away. If you have not read it then I can recommend it highly. I't's not new-age claptrap and is possibly the most amazing book which I have ever read.

I was interested to see a new book next to it on the shelf in Borders entitled "A New Earth an Old Deception: Awakening to the Dangers of Eckhart Tolle and his No 1 Bestseller" by Richard Abanes. I stood and read several pages and just can't believe how much this guy has missed the point. Missed the point of what Eckhart Tolle is saying and then written a book about it.

The thing is, in the past, I would have felt quite angry that someone had gone to all this trouble to try and undermine something which I believe to be of great value. However, it really didn't bother me that much.

It was at this point that I also decided to leave the "Jesus" face on my painting.